Scholarships and Financial Assistance

Note due to the Economy- many scholarships have been reduced in value.
We regret this.

Brown Mackin Scholarships
The Physics Department gives several scholarships annually in honor of Brown Mackin,
a former ECU Physics Professor.  All physics majors are eligible.  Selection is made on
the basis of outstanding academic performance and level in college as determined by a faculty committee. 
Awards are give retroactively at the School of Math and Science Awards ceremony in April. 
Contact Dr. Carl Rutledge at 580/559-5392 for consideration about this scholarship.

Brown Mackin Scholarship Recipients

Edward M. Smith Memorial Gift Scholarship (for medical physics majors)

This scholarship is established by Chris D. Smith, a 1993 physics graduate of East Central University in memorial of his father..
This is established as an educational scholarship for tuition, fees, and books for students with verification of current enrollment in the Medical Physics program. 

To be considered, the following documents must be completed and presented to the Physics Scholarship Selection Committee (Dr Rutledge & Williams) by March 31.
1.    Verification of current enrollment in the Medical Physics program. 
         This would include evidence of current enrollment in classes in the Bachelor of Science Medical Physics option.
2.    A letter from the student addressing their interest, attributes and financial need.
3.    A current transcript and midterm grade printout

Shelby Jane Bays Memorial Scholarship
$1000 to upper division student preparing for a career in dentistry or the medical profession by
majoring in Biology (dentistry, pre-med, med tech), Physics (medical physics or pre-med), or Chemistry (dentistry/pre-med).
Minimum GPA of 3.1. 

Kellogg Scholar (for teacher ed majors)
$1000 given to Freshmen major in either Math or Science Secondary Teaching Certification.
Must be OK High School graduate, HS gpa 3.0 or higher, ACT composite of 20 or higher, ACT math & Science subscores 18 or higher.
If you think you qualify see Dr. Weems, Dean of College of Health and Sciences (559.580.5410 or

East Central Alliance for Minority Participation in Science, math, engeineering, technology

Carlock Scholarships (for Medical Physics Majors)
Applicants must have established a permanent place of residence in one of the following
 counties:  Carter, Love, Marshall, Murray, or Jefferson.  
Applicants must be in at least their sophomore year of college and must be enrolled in some field
  that is health or hospital related (Medical physics may be considered a health/hospital field)
  Preference may be given to juniors and seniors; however applicants
  should have completed fewer than 124 hours.

Non-Resident Tuition Waiver